When you lose one or more adult teeth it can cause a chain reaction of issues in your mouth. The loss of the tooth causes your gum tissue and jawbone to respond by retracting or shrinking. It causes your remaining teeth to shift and this causes misalignment of your bite. That can lead to dental and jaw pain and of course the loss of any tooth is cosmetically unappealing. No one wants to smile with big gaps and empty spaces in their mouth.
Fortunately, at Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA we offer dental implants to our patients. While this is a wonderful and amazing technology, there are still some myths and misconceptions that surround the use of dental implants. We want to go over the five biggest misconceptions about dental implants to enable our patients to move forward confidently with this beneficial solution.
- It is incredibly painful. This just is not so. It is very important to know that the local anesthetic used for dental implants is the exact same one we use for fillings and root canals. If you are upset at the idea of this surgical treatment, we can also give you a sedative that will relax and calm you. There will be some soreness as you recover, but it is mild enough to be treated with over the counter pain relievers.
- It will require you to live with missing teeth for months. While it is true that the bonding of the implant to the jaw can take up to six months, you are given a temporary crown that serves as a functional and cosmetic tooth during that time. This is one of the myths that you must ignore as there is no truth to it.
- They are rarely successful. It is easy to understand how this myth about dental implants began. In the very earliest days of the technology, which is decades old, there were some failures. Today, however, the success rate for dental implants exceeds 90%!
- Insurances do not cover them. This is another of the myths that is easy to understand. While the process may not be entirely covered by an insurance policy, we know that many of our patients’ plans will pay for several steps in the process. Contact your insurance firm to overcome such misconceptions.
- They can cause pressure or damage to the sinuses or jaws. With the advent of remarkably accurate x-rays and scans, there is no risk for such problems. Complications are possible in any sort of procedure, but one of the biggest misconceptions about dental implants is that they can easily cause such issues.
If you have questions about dental implants, or wish to discuss your options, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.
Perhaps you have been considering the use of teeth whitening to give you healthy smile the radiant glow it deserves. There are many people who rely on teeth whitening treatments to put the finishing touch on their smile makeover, straightening or as part of their regular general dentistry. At Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA, we provide our patients with different options for teeth whitening and also help them overcome the biggest misconceptions and myths about this fast, safe, and effective treatment.
- It is painful. This is one of the worst misconceptions about teeth whitening. While it may sound like it word hurt to put chemicals on the teeth or near the gums, the truth is that the process is not in the least bit painful. For patients who have sensitive teeth, or who worry about developing sensitivity after having the treatment, there are desensitizing agents that can be part of the process.
- It is permanent. Another of the myths associated with teeth whitening is that it is a permanent treatment. The simple fact of the matter is that dietary habits like drinking tea, coffee or wine can cause your whitening to fade. Smoking will always yellow the teeth and simple aging makes our teeth yellow as well. Teeth whitening can be very long lasting, but it is not permanent.
- It harms the teeth. One of the worst misconceptions about whitening is that it will damage the enamel and harm the teeth. This is not the case at all, and in some instances, the contents of the whitening product may help to reinforce the health of the teeth. Fluoride ingredients, as an example are helpful, not harmful.
- It is instant. While this is arguable, the reality is that teeth whitening is done in many ways. It can be done in-office and work in a single visit or it can take a few weeks. It is never just brushed on and you are done, and even an in-office treatment can take 30 minutes or more.
- It is a good treatment for all teeth. Unfortunately, there are some patients with deeply stained or discolored teeth who cannot benefit from whitening. There are options available though, such as veneers and bonding or crowns and inlays or onlays.
If you have questions about the myths and misconceptions about teeth whitening, or need to discuss your options, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.
It can be quite frustrating to be one of the world’s dedicated brushers and flossers, to get regular cleanings and checkups and yet not have the picture perfect smile that you deserve. As healthy as your teeth and gums might be, there could still be some cosmetic issues that are thwarting all of your hard work and dedication. Fortunately, our patients at Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA have an array of cosmetic dentistry solutions available and we have five very strong reasons that you should consider cosmetic dentistry as a workable solution.
- It is functional. Not only can some of the cosmetic dentistry solutions we offer improve the looks of your teeth, but they can also work wonders for the function. As an example, if you have a tooth that is chipped or pitted, we can use bonding or porcelain veneers to restore the good looks of the tooth. At the same time though, that solution also strengthens and restores the function of the tooth.
- It improves oral hygiene and health. Some of the cosmetic dentistry solutions that we offer can even improve the overall health of the teeth. For example, people who straighten their teeth make it easier for us to clean them fully and prevent decay. Those who whiten their teeth will use compounds that can improve the strength or health of the teeth. It is a good reason to consider cosmetic dentistry.
- It makes you feel better. If your hand goes to your mouth when you smile or you keep your lips closed, you are reducing your quality of life. Cosmetic dentistry may be able to help you cut that habit by assuring you that your smile is flawless, bright and attractive.
- It combats the signs of aging. Yellow and dingy teeth age you whether they are healthy or not. Additionally, teeth that have been broken or chipped, and that are uneven and out of alignment will make you look much older than your years. Cosmetic treatments can address all of these things usually with just a few easy treatments.
- Improves your appearance. Of course, the most obvious reason to consider cosmetic dentistry is that it is cosmetic. In other words, it is done by a dentist who understands how changing some things about your teeth can and will improve your overall appearance. Your teeth may appear entirely different than they did before the cosmetic dentistry, but it is a guarantee that you will look better.
If you have questions about cosmetic dentistry, or need to discuss your options, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.
Dentures are hardly anyone’s idea of the perfect end to a dental problem, but they are not the awkward, obvious or uncomfortable appliances that they once were. Today’s dentures are somewhat high-tech and they just cannot slip out, fall out or make any unwelcome appearances.
Apart from the fact that they are nothing like they are nothing like the old rumors, the dental team at Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA also want you to consider dentures for five other reasons:
- They are a fast solution – No one wants to wait for a long time to fill in any gaps or missing teeth. Dentures can be made in just a matter of days and can include full dentures or partial dentures that hook to your remaining adult teeth.
- They are an affordable solution – While there are options such as dental implants that can replace lost teeth, you may want to consider dentures purely for their affordability. Because they are made of readily available material and are easier than ever to make, they do not break the budget.
- They let you eat, speak, and look like before – No matter how long you have been missing teeth, chances are you consistently wish you could do many of the things you did before you lost them. With dentures, you will be able to eat almost anything, speak like normal, and look just as you did before the loss of the teeth.
- They are made specifically for your mouth – When you visit one of our dentists to have full dentures or partial dentures made, they will begin the process only when your gums are back to normal. In other words, if you just had a tooth removed or had some other issue that is swelling the gums, the dentist waits for you to be back to your normal condition. Then, the custom molds are made and the dentures designed to fit snugly and comfortably to your gum.
- They let you have options – Maybe you are considering implants in the future? Maybe you need to save up for them? If so, your dentures keep your gums and jaw in good health while you wait. Instead of leaving decayed or damaged teeth in place, where they could do more harm than good, opting for dentures leaves all of the options open.
Consider dentures for these reasons and more. They will boost your confidence and self-esteem and allow you to enjoy life as if you did not lose a single tooth. If you have questions about them or wish to discuss your options, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.
Did you know that your gum tissue and jaw bone actually know when you have lost a tooth? They work as an interconnected system and when a tooth is gone the gum and bone stop receiving “messages.” This causes the tissue to recede and you eventually even lose some of the jawbone. Losing one tooth can also allow the other teeth to shift, which can misalign the bite, wear or break the teeth, and cause pain in the head, jaw or neck. All of these things are why Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA recommends dental implants.
There are actually five good reasons you should consider dental implants:
- The jawbone – As we just learned, when you have a dental implant, it is inserted into the jawbone. This keeps those signals going and prevents that atrophy and recession from occurring. This maintains the strength and integrity of the bone as well and promises optimal health over the long term. The preservation of the bone also allows your fact to keep its natural appearance too. You will speak the same and look the same when you consider dental implants over the alternatives.
- The teeth – Again, we learned that the loss of that on tooth can cause the others to shift into unnatural locations. This can put pressure on the teeth and jaw, cause you to begin grinding or biting improperly and then experience a whole host of other problems.
- They last – You should consider dental implants over the alternatives, like dentures or bridges, because they will last so much longer. When you use dentures or bridges, the jawbone beneath is empty. That means the tissue changes shape and you will require new appliances at least once, but probably more, over time.
- They look good – Though this sounds like a cosmetic issue, just consider this for one moment. Is it nicer and easier to smile naturally or to smile self-consciously? Most of us feel better when we just let our biggest smiles out. When you have dentures or other replacements, you may worry when you smile. You may feel self-conscious. Dental implants are so much like natural teeth that they let you smile without a second thought. They are not prone to breaking or staining either, and allow you to eat whatever you want too.
- They are easy – While the dental implant process is complex, the care and upkeep for them is not. You need only have regular cleanings and checkups, and any worries about cavities are over!
These are but five reasons to consider dental implants. If you have further questions about them, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.