There are several reasons you could need dentures, the most obvious reason being if you are missing teeth. Dentures are simply prosthetic teeth that fit over your gums in order to restore your mouth’s functionality and appearance. The type of dentures you will need, though, depends on varying factors. With that in mind, let’s discuss the reasons you need dentures of a certain type.
Partial dentures do not replace all of your teeth. Instead, they are created to fill the gaps where you are missing teeth. The reasons you need those dentures could be:
- You have lost less than half of your teeth to decay, and your oral health is sufficiently good that you do not anticipate losing more teeth in the near future. When you are fitted with partial dentures, your remaining teeth will not crowd into the empty spaces, and you will find that they will last longer than if you had elected not to have partial dentures.
- You have lost less than half your teeth due to mouth trauma. Unfortunately, accidents do happen, in the workplace, during sporting events, and sometimes just in the course of our day-to-day lives. Of course you could consider dental implants, but most insurers will not cover them. They will usually, though, cover at least some of the cost of a partial denture.
Full dentures replace all of your teeth. The reasons you could need those dentures are:
- You have lost all of your teeth. Again, you could consider implants, but if they are not in the budget, then cost can be one of the reasons you need dentures. Full dentures are far less expensive than implants, and thanks to modern dentistry, they will fit well and allow you to enjoy your favorite foods again.
- You have lost several teeth, and the ones that remain are not in good shape. In this instance, you might consider having your remaining teeth extracted, and a full set of dentures made.
Is It Time for Dentures?
There are very few people who make it through their entire life without some level of tooth loss. So here is the final of our five reasons you need dentures.
- As you age, and lose teeth, your face will begin to sag. Dentures can restore your face to a more youthful appearance.
If you would like to meet with us to discuss the reasons you could need dentures, get in touch with us at Old Milton Dental. We are located at 4165 Old Milton Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30005. You can contact us by phone at 678-624-0370, or use the form on our Contact Us page to request an appointment.