Did you know that your gum tissue and jaw bone actually know when you have lost a tooth? They work as an interconnected system and when a tooth is gone the gum and bone stop receiving “messages.” This causes the tissue to recede and you eventually even lose some of the jawbone. Losing one tooth can also allow the other teeth to shift, which can misalign the bite, wear or break the teeth, and cause pain in the head, jaw or neck. All of these things are why Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA recommends dental implants.
There are actually five good reasons you should consider dental implants:
- The jawbone – As we just learned, when you have a dental implant, it is inserted into the jawbone. This keeps those signals going and prevents that atrophy and recession from occurring. This maintains the strength and integrity of the bone as well and promises optimal health over the long term. The preservation of the bone also allows your fact to keep its natural appearance too. You will speak the same and look the same when you consider dental implants over the alternatives.
- The teeth – Again, we learned that the loss of that on tooth can cause the others to shift into unnatural locations. This can put pressure on the teeth and jaw, cause you to begin grinding or biting improperly and then experience a whole host of other problems.
- They last – You should consider dental implants over the alternatives, like dentures or bridges, because they will last so much longer. When you use dentures or bridges, the jawbone beneath is empty. That means the tissue changes shape and you will require new appliances at least once, but probably more, over time.
- They look good – Though this sounds like a cosmetic issue, just consider this for one moment. Is it nicer and easier to smile naturally or to smile self-consciously? Most of us feel better when we just let our biggest smiles out. When you have dentures or other replacements, you may worry when you smile. You may feel self-conscious. Dental implants are so much like natural teeth that they let you smile without a second thought. They are not prone to breaking or staining either, and allow you to eat whatever you want too.
- They are easy – While the dental implant process is complex, the care and upkeep for them is not. You need only have regular cleanings and checkups, and any worries about cavities are over!
These are but five reasons to consider dental implants. If you have further questions about them, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.