If you are contemplating the use of dentures as a solution to your current dental situation, you should uncover the truth about them. There are many myths and misconceptions about dentures and there are also a lot of old-fashioned ideas about them too. Though they are a technology with centuries of history, they are also a dental solution that has been advanced and updated in the past decade. At Old Milton Dental in Alpharetta, GA we happily consult with patients about dentures, but we also advise them to ignore these five major myths and misconceptions about dentures.
- Dentures click and fall out a lot. Actually, modern dentures are so effective that you cannot distinguish them from real teeth. They are designed to fit snugly to the gums and mouth and they will never cause you the same kind of embarrassment that your grandparents may have endured when they used dentures twenty or thirty years ago.
- They are all the same and the only difference is the price. This is one of the most harmful myths about dentures. They are definitely not the same and going with a bargain basement price is going to give you a bargain basement outcome. Your dental health and general well-being is too important to jeopardize, so do not believe such misconceptions.
- I still won’t be able to eat what I want. Though many people remove dentures when eating, properly fitted and well-made dentures allow you to eat almost anything you want. Opting to consume a diet that requires only gums is going to compromise your health and one of the worst misconceptions about dentures is that they cannot be used for chewing and eating many foods.
- They demand the use of adhesives. Again, this is one of the prevalent misconceptions about dentures. When you work with our team, your dentures are so well fitting and properly sized that there is no need for adhesives or special products that glue them to the gums.
- Dentures will make me look much older. This is one of the most confusing myths about dentures. While many older people use them, they do not make you look older. In fact, it is the opposite and many with dentures look remarkably younger because the apparatus supports their jaws, facial muscles and bite.
If you have questions about other myths or misconceptions about dentures, or need to discuss your options, give us a call at (678) 624-0370. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.