Who is Not a Candidate for Dental Implants
If you have missing teeth, you might be wondering if you are, or are not, a candidate for dental implants. Most people, assuming that their oral health is good, can benefit from implants. Even in cases where there has been a loss of bone mass in the jaw, you can have implants following bone grafting. You do have to commit to taking proper care of your implants, of course. This means brushing and flossing regularly, and seeing your dentist twice a year for checkups. If you develop gum disease, your implants could fail.
There are some circumstances, though, in which a person will not be a candidate for dental implants.
- If you are young, and your jawbone is still growing, you will not be a candidate for dental implants.
- Pregnant women cannot have implants.
- A heavy smoker is not a candidate for dental implants, because smoking inhibits healing, and the implants could fail.
- Someone who has had radiation treatments to their neck or head is not a candidate for dental implants.
- Uncontrolled diabetes will preclude you from having implants, as will connective tissue diseases, certain immune deficiencies, and hemophilia.
- If you take steroids, or immune-suppressing drugs, you may not be a candidate for dental implants.
- If you grind your teeth or bite hard, you will need to correct the habit before you can be considered for dental implants.
If you are contemplating dental implants as a means of restoring your missing teeth, your dentist can perform an evaluation to help you determine whether they are the right solution for you. This will involve examining your mouth, taking x-rays, and possibly a CT scan to determine the condition of your jawbone. The dentist will also review both your dental and medical history. Then, if you are a good candidate, your dentist will devise a course of treatment.
With dental implants, you can have the appearance and functionality of your mouth restored. Your implants will look and feel just like natural teeth.
If you would like to find out whether you are or are not a candidate for dental implants, schedule a consultation with Dr. Corey Mazer at Old Milton Dental. He can explain the process of having implants installed, and suggest other restorative dentistry procedures as well. Call us at 678-624-0370, or request an appointment using our Contact Us page. We are located at 4165 Old Milton Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30005.